- Our Parish
- Safeguarding God’s Family
- Our School
- Donate Now
- Contact Us
St. Matthew is a Roman Catholic parish in the Archdiocese of Milwaukee. We are a community of more than 1000 families residing in Oak Creek, Franklin, South Milwaukee, and other nearby cities. Our parishioners are actively involved in the liturgical life of the parish and in service to others. The parish offers religious education for all ages and many other programs and activities.
Catholics worshipped in Oak Creek even before a log church was erected at St. Matthew in 1841, the year of the parish’s founding. The brick church that stands along Chicago Road was built around the log church, which was then disassembled and removed through the front door. The brick church was dedicated in 1861 and served the parish for a century. IT was completely renovated from 1981-1991 and rededicated on the Feast of St. Matthew in 1991.
In 1961 an extensive fundraising campaign was launched to build a new church and the parish’s first school. The new building was dedicated on September 23, 1962. An octagonal Gathering Space and lower-level meeting rooms were added in 2005.